Language proficiency validation at LAA's AGM
Language proficiency validation at LAA's AGM


LAA coaches Jon Cooke and John Brady will be available to sign your Level 6 English Language Proficiency (see below) as well as discuss any licensing and training enquiries at LAA's AGM on Saturday 28th September.


Don't forget to bring along your licence and photo identification if you wish to use this service, for which there is NO CHARGE.


English Language Proficiency

For those who wish to use the Language Proficiency Endorsement service, please print off and bring along a Form SRG 1199 for us to sign. You will need to bring along your licence and some means of photo identification too. Form SRG 1199 states that a certified copy of your identification is required. However, the CAA have kindly agreed that where the form is completed by the Light Aircraft Association, a certified copy of your identification is not required.

The process is fairly simple and will last less than ten minutes. It involves a face-to-face aviation-related conversation. This takes the form of some general conversation, some radio phraseology and pronunciation. Don't worry if you don't know the answer to any question you are asked, as it's a great opportunity for us to discuss this in English.

If you will be applying for an EASA licence you will also need some documents photocopied for us to certify. At the end of Form SRG 1104 is a checklist: bring along a copy of your passport or driving licence; a copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page; and, a copy of your medical for us to certify.

We will be making the process as easy as possible for you to complete whilst complying with CAA requirements. I look forward to seeing you there.

Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman
Light Aircraft Association

Why do I need English Language Proficiency?

ICAO introduced the requirement in March 2008 for all pilots of aeroplane, helicopter, airship and powered lift aircraft to be proficient in their command of the languages that they use for radio communication. This is required in ENGLISH for the issue of a UK FRTOL. ICAO Annex I specifies the minimum standard for the holder of a licence to be Level 4, where Level 6 is fluent.

The ICAO standard for language proficiency has been applicable for some time, but EASA Aircrew Regulation makes it a requirement for the issue of a licence. In 2008 all Radio Telephony Licence holders were issued Level 4. Whilst Level 6 is a once only event and is valid for life, Level 4 is valid for 4 years, and Level 5 for 6 years. Therefore many UK licence holders now have an expired Language Proficiency on their electronic record.

This only becomes a problem when a licence application is processed, since a valid language proficiency is required for the CAA to issue the new licence.

What happens to the SRG 1199 form?

When your form is received by the CAA, they will enter your level of Language Proficiency on your electronic record. A Level 6 is fluent in English and this endorsement is valid for life, so should not need to be repeated. However, it is recommended that you keep a copy of the form should you need to provide evidence in the future.

Will I get a new licence printed with Level 6 entered in it?

No, you will not. When this form is received by the CAA they will enter Level 6 onto your electronic record. You will not receive any notification from the CAA. Should you wish to confirm the level which is entered on your record, e-mail

What if I am not fluent English?

If you are not fluent English speaking you must be assessed at a Language School. Only expert and fluent English speakers may be endorsed at these events. If you are unsure, please review the documentation which provides guidance on language assessment.

Where can I find more information?

The CAA have produced Standards Document 51, which contains guidance for examiners and candidates on the process for the testing of English Language Proficiency. This contains extracts from the relevant legislation as to the rating scale, and what each level requires.

How much will the assessment cost?

No charge by the LAA. We would gladly accept small (or even large) donations to the LAA Educational Trust, a charity which funds youth aviation education and associated stuff. Gift Aid forms will be available so we can obtain a rebate from the Treasury (if you pay 40% tax you can claim the rest back too). There is no charge by the CAA either.