Caernarfon Airport was first known as RAF Llandwrog and opened in January 1941. t was the largest World War II airfield in Wales. The Air Observers School flew Avro Anson and Westland Lysander aircraft. Early in 1942, prompted by an increasing number of aircraft accidents in the North Wales mountains, the RAF Llandwrog Mountain Rescue Section was formed on a local, volunteer basis. Almost 71,000 bombs containing the nerve agent tabun had been seized in Germany following WWII, and these were stored in the open at RAF Llandwrog, until 1954 when, they were safetly disposed of.
The airport has a good museum on site called Airworld, which tells the history of the airfield and flying around the Snowdonian area. Both airport and museum have a restaurant and both AVGAS AND JET A1 is available. Non radio aircraft not accepted. Please wear a high-vis. Radio is A/G on 122.250 and nearby RAF Valley is 125.225.
Runway 02/20 at Caernarfon is now permanently unlicensed due to the installation of two 152’ amsl wind turbines approximately half way down the runway, 30 meters from the runway edge. An information pack for all visiting pilots can be downloaded.